This focused issue on “The Role of Pneumonectomy in Thoracic Surgery in The Third Millennium” is edited by Dr. Lorenzo Spaggiari, from Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy; and Dr. Luca Bertolaccini, from Division of Thoracic Surgery, IEO European Institute of Oncology IRCCS, Milan, Italy.
Dr. Lorenzo Spaggiari was born in Casina (RE) on May, 9th, 1961. He was graduated at the Medical School in 1988, and he obtained the research doctorate (PhD) in Surgical Cardio-Thoracic Physiopathology in 1995. Subsequently, he completed the residency in General Surgery and Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Currently he is Director of Lung Cancer Program at the European Institute of Oncology, Milan, and Chief of Surgical Thoracic Department.
Dr. Luca Bertolaccini is a Thoracic Surgeon at Division of Thoracic Surgery, IEO European Institute of Oncology IRCCS, Milan (IT). He is a Lecturer of the University of L’Aquila (IT). He was a Lecturer of the University of Turin (IT). His primary clinical interests focus on Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery, Thoracic Oncology, Uniportal VATS. His research interests and main publications focus on Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery and Biostatistics.
Focused issue outline:
- Physiologic consequences of pneumonectomy
- Innovative functional staging and assessment of operative risk in candidates for pneumonectomy
- Innovative mediastinal staging in candidates for pneumonectomy
- Anaesthetic strategies and ARDS prevention in patients undergoing pneumonectomy
- Pneumonectomy for empyema
- Pneumonectomy in the treatment of aspergillosis and the tuberculosis
- Pneumonectomy for trauma and war casualties
- Pneumonectomy for lung cancer
- Pneumonectomy in stage III/N2 Lung cancer
- Salvage pneumonectomy after definitive chemoradiotherapy
- Extended pneumonectomy for T4 lung cancer
- Lung resections after pneumonectomy
- Pneumonectomy for lung metastases
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy for pleural malignancies
- Salvage pneumonectomy in long term survivors after biological and immunotherapeutic treatments
- Pneumonectomy for carcinoid
- Fundamentals of standards left and right pneumonectomy
- Completion pneumonectomy
- Carinal and sleeve pneumonectomy
- Veno-venous ExtraCorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Trac
- Robotic pneumonectomy
- Multiport VATS pneumonectomy
- Uniportal VATS Pneumonectomy
- Management of medical complications after pneumonectomy
- Management of postpneumonectomy empyema and bronchopleural fistula
- Postpneumonectomy syndrome
Uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery pneumonectomy: an update in the evolution of this minimally invasive approach
More articles in this issue are to be published.
The series “The Role of Pneumonectomy in Thoracic Surgery in The Third Millennium” was commissioned by the editorial office, Shanghai Chest without any sponsorship or funding. Lorenzo Spaggiari and Luca Bertolaccini are serving as the unpaid Guest Editors for the series.